Convert Improper Fractions and Mixed Numbers

An improper fraction is a fraction in which the numerator (top number) is greater than or equal to the denominator (bottom number). It is ‘top-heavy’

A mixed number is a number that consists of a whole number and a fraction.

How to Convert an Improper Fraction to a Mixed Number

  1. Divide the numerator by the denominator.
  2. Write down the whole number result.
  3. Use the remainder as the new numerator over the denominator. This is the fraction part of the mixed number.



How to Convert a Mixed Number to an Improper Fraction

To convert a mixed number to an improper fraction, follow these steps:
  1. Multiply the denominator of the fractional part by the whole number
  2. Add the result to the numerator.
  3. Use this result as your numerator, and place it over the denominator you already have.
This method works for all mixed numbers.

Video Tutorial

Leave a Comment